Dr Inna Kupreeva
B.A., M.A. (Moscow State University), Ph.D. (University of Toronto, Collaborative Programme in Ancient and Medieval Philosophy). I joined this department in September 2005, having held research fellowships at King's College London and Oxford (St Hilda's College with Faculty of Philosophy) and lectureships at several Canadian universities (Univ. of Toronto, York University, University of Victoria).
My main area of research is ancient Greek philosophy. I am interested in ancient theories of mind and matter, moral philosophy, science and medicine. I specialise in Aristotle and Aristotelian tradition, and pursue research also in Platonism and Stoic philosophy. I also have research interests in medieval philosophy, in particular, in early Byzantine philosophy and Greek philosophy in the Arabic sources.
My teaching is mainly in Ancient Philosophy (this year Topics in Hellenistic Philosophy and Ancient Philosophy Seminar I and II). I am happy to supervise dissertations on various topics (e.g. recently supervised MSc dissertations were on Plato's Cratylus, Aristotle's De anima, Aristotle's ethics, Stoic physics and ethics, Epicurean ethics and political philosophy). Jointly with colleagues from Classics, IMES and Divinity, I am running Greek, Latin, and Arabic philosophy reading groups for students. Send me an email if you would like to join any of these groups!
- Philoponus On Aristotle Meteorology 1.1-3 (translation, introduction, commentary), Bristol Classical Press, 2011
- Philoponus On Aristotle Meteorology 1.4-9, 1.12 (translation, introduction, commentary), Bristol Classical Press, 2012
- Philoponus on Aristotle On Coming to Be and Perishing 2.5-11 (trans., introd., comm.), London, Duckworth, 2005
- Anselm of Canterbury: Selected Works (de Grammatico, Monologion, Proslogion, de Veritate, de Libero Arbitrio, de Casu Diaboli; in Appendix: P. Damiani, de Divina Omnipotentia), (trans., comm., biogr. essay), Moscow, Kanon, 1995 (in Russian)
Articles and monograph chapters
- 'Galen's Theory of Elements' in P. Adamson, J. Wilberding (eds), Philosophical Themes in Galen, London, Institute of Classical Studies, 2013 (forthcoming)
- 'Alexander of Aphrodisias and Aristotle's De anima: What's in a Commentary?' Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies 55/1 (2012), 109 - 129
- 'Aristotle on Causation and Conditional Necessity: An. Post. 2.12 in context', in F. de Haas, M. Leunissen, M. Martijn (eds), Interpreting Aristotle's Posterior Analytics in Late Antiquity and Beyond, Leiden, Brill, 2010, 203-234
- 'Themistius' in L.P. Gerson (ed) Cambridge History of Philosophy in Late Antiquity, CUP, 2010, 397 - 417
- 'Alexander of Aphrodisias on Form: a discussion of M. Rashed, Essentialisme: Alexandre d'Aphrodise entre logique, physique et cosmologie', Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy 38 (2010), 211-249
- 'Stoic Themes in Peripatetic Sources?' in R. Salles (ed), God and Cosmos in Stoicism, Oxford University Press, 2009, 135-169
- 'Heraclides On the Soul (?) and its ancient readers', in W.W. Fortenbaugh, E.E. Pender (eds), Heraclides of Pontus: Discussion, New Brunswick/London, Transaction (Rutgers University Studies in Classical Humanities, vol. 15), 2009, 93-138
- 'Aristotle on Growth: a Study of the Argument in GC 1.5', Apeiron, 38/3 (2005), 103-159.
- Alexander of Aphrodisias on Mixture and Growth', Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy, 27 (2004), 297-334
- 'Aristotelian dynamics in the 2nd century school debates: Galen and Alexander of Aphrodisias on organic powers and movements', in P. Adamson, H. Baltussen, M.W.F. Stone (eds) Philosophy, Science and Exegesis in Greek, Arabic and Latin Commentaries, vol.1, London, Institute of Classical Studies, 2004, 71-95
- 'Qualities and Bodies: Alexander against the Stoics', Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy 25 (2003), 297-344.
- 'Philopon, In Aristotelis Meteorologica', in R. Goulet (ed), Dictionnaire des Philosophes Antiques,vol. Va, 2011, 468-72
- 'Polémon d'Athènes', ibid., vol. Vb, 2011, 1190-94
- 'Aristotle: Ancient Commentators on Aristotle', 'Matter' in M. Gagarin (ed), Oxford Encyclopedia of Greece and Rome, OUP, 2009
- D. Bostock, Space, Time, Matter, and Form: Essays on Aristotle's Physics, OUP, 2006 // Notre Dame Philosophical Review, 2009.01.22
- M. Rashed, L'Héritage aristotélicienne, Paris, Vrin, 2007 // Classical Review 58/2 (2008), 428-31
- C. Viano (ed.) L'alchimie et ses racines philosophiques: La tradition grecque et la tradition arabe, Paris, Vrin, 2005 // Classical Review 57/2 (2007), 316-17
- D. Des Chene. Life's Form. Late Aristotelian Conceptions of the Soul. Cornell University Press, 2000 // Ancient Philosophy, 2003/2
- C. Genequand. Alexander of Aphrodisias on the cosmos. E.J.Brill, 2001 // Ancient Philosophy 2003/1
- Aspasius: the earliest extant commentary on Aristotle's Ethics. Essays edited by A. Alberti and R.W. Sharples. Walter de Gruyter 1999. // Ancient Philosophy, 2002/2
- Priscian. On Theophrastus on Sense-Perception. 'Simplicius'. On Aristotle's On the Soul 2.5-12. Trans. by P. Huby and C. Steel. Cornell University Press, 1997// Bryn Mawr Classical Review 1999
- Themistius. On Aristotle's On the Soul. Trans. by R.B.Todd, Cornell Univ. Press, 1996 // Bryn Mawr Classical Review. 97.7.1. 1997
- Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, 2009/10
- Interdisciplinary project 'Habent sua fata libelli' at the University of Utrecht (Oct. 2006)
- PPLS QAE Director
- Dissertation Preparation Course Organizer
- MSc Programme Director (Ancient Philosophy)
Thursday 4pm - 5pm
(or by appointment)
- PPLS Representatives, Quality Assurance Director