Why Study Philosophy?
Edinburgh has a distinguished place in the history of philosophy, having been home to David Hume and Adam Smith. Philosophy has been taught at the university since its foundation in 1583, and offers a stimulating & flexible learning experience.
Student describes what it's like to study Philosophy at Edinburgh.
A truly unique learning programme
Our flexible degree programmes are designed to give you a thorough foundation in philosophy, and allow you to specialise or to study the full breadth of the subject. As part of your programme you will have the opportunity to take 'outside' courses in subjects other than philosophy. Many students end up combining philosophy with a subject they studied as an outside subject. This flexibility allows you to tailor your degree to suit your developing interests or your particular aptitudes.
There are many benefits to the four year degree structure:
- It allows you to experience new subjects without committing long-term. We know that it can be difficult to choose a subject that will be right for you, and the four year structure takes the pressure off; giving you time to try out a programme and change subject (which approximately 30% of students do) should you wish to.
- It helps you to gain good results, as you can discover which subjects are best suited to you and tailor your degree accordingly.
- It gives you more time to grow intellectually and academically providing an extra year to develop your confidence and perfect your essay writing style. The majority of our students gain better marks in their 4th year, than they did in their third year.
- Provides you with a breadth of academic experience, which is both enriching and attractive to employers.
Support at every step of your programme
Every student has a Personal Tutor assigned to them, who is a member of the teaching staff and will provide you with academic guidance and support.
Your tutor will work with you to help you:
- review your academic progress;
- reflect on how your learning can help you pursue your future development;
- engage with a community of learners; and
- address any concerns or problems that might affect your studies.
Enhance your employability
The Edinburgh MA is a four-year degree that offers you the opportunity to take 'outside' courses in subjects that complement your degree and allow you to develop skills that enhance your employability.
Unforgettable student experience
Benefit from being part of a large and vibrant undergraduate and graduate community, at the heart of a University with a 400-year heritage that is consistently rated as one of the world's best. Located in the centre of Scotland's capital city, one of the cultural capitals of Europe, Philosophy at Edinburgh can offer a student experience that few others can rival.
Study around the world
The University of Edinburgh has more than 200 student exchange arrangements with Universities in Europe, Asia, North America, and South America.
Easy access to the UK and beyond
Edinburgh is well connected with very accessible travel within the UK and beyond. Edinburgh is just a 4.5 hour train journey from London, and just over an hour on the plane. Getting out to Edinburgh airport from the city centre is a hassle-free 30 minute bus ride. Edinburgh airport has direct flights across most of Europe and to many international destinations.